Existing Traffic Signals
The Traffic Control Division is currently responsible for maintaining thirty-one signalized intersections and two flashing yellow signals. See intersection list below.
If you wish to report a traffic signal light out, damaged, malfunctioning, or would just like information on how traffic signals operate call the Traffic Control Division at 972-462-5150 Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For emergency situations after normal business hours and on weekends and holidays, call Coppell Police Dispatch at 972-304-3610. To report a traffic signal issue electronically, use this "Request for Service" link.
Click here to read Frequently Asked Questions related to traffic signal operations.
Request for a New Traffic Signal
The intersection must first meet certain minimum criteria specified by the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices which requires that an engineering study of the intersection be performed. The engineer will consider several aspects of the intersection including: traffic volumes, traffic delays, pedestrian volumes, accident history, and road alignment (visibility). The engineer's investigation may provide alternate solutions if the study results show that a traffic signal is not warranted. These alternate solutions may save taxpayers unnecessary expense, and can usually be acted upon more quickly. Contact the Engineering Department at email@example.com.
If the intersection does warrant a traffic signal, then the process of obtaining funding begins. The entire process may seem lengthy, but it has been shown that installing a signal where it is not warranted can be worse than not having one.
Signalized intersections maintained by City of Coppell:
1) Denton Tap Rd. @ Sandy Lake Rd.
2) Denton Tap Rd. @ Bethel School Rd.
3) Denton Tap Rd. @ Bethel Rd.
4) Denton Tap Rd. @ Belt Line Rd.
5) Denton Tap Rd. @ Natches Trace
6) Denton Tap Rd. @ Parkway Blvd.
7) Denton Tap Rd. @ Town Center Dr.
8) MacArthur Blvd. @ Deforest Rd.
9) MacArthur Blvd. @ Parkway Blvd.
10) MacArthur Blvd. @ Samuel Blvd.
11) MacArthur Blvd. @ Bethel School Rd.
12) S. Belt Line Rd. @ Airline Dr.
13) S. Belt Line Rd. @ Wrangler Dr.
14) S. Belt Line Rd. @ Lakeshore Dr.
15) S. Belt Line Rd. @ Dividend Dr.
16) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Heartz Rd.
17) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Moore Rd.
18) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Samuel Blvd.
19) Sandy Lake Rd. @ MacArthur Blvd.
20) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Whispering Hills Dr.
21) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Coppell Rd. North
22) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Freeport Pkwy.
23) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Riverchase Dr.
24) Sandy Lake Rd. @ Royal Ln.
25) E. Belt Line Rd. @ Fairway Dr.
26) E. Belt Line Rd. @ MacArthur Blvd.
27) E. Belt Line Rd. @ Mockingbird Dr.
28) E. Belt Line Rd. @ Moore Rd.
29) Bethel Rd. @ Coppell Rd.
30) Bethel Rd. @ Freeport Pkwy.
31) Bethel Rd. @ Royal Ln.
Flashing intersections maintained by City of Coppell:
- E. Belt Line Rd. @ Ledbetter
- MacArthur Blvd. @ Condor (emergency signal)
Flashing Yellow Lights:
The City of Coppell introduced a program in 2008 in an attempt to improve traffic flow during nighttime off-peak periods. Various traffic signals throughout the city flash yellow on the main street and red on the side street from 11:00 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. As a reminder, a flashing yellow signal means: "proceed through the intersection with caution" and flashing red has the same meaning as a stop sign: "come to a complete stop, check all directions, then proceed through the intersection with caution." The current phase of the program includes the following intersections:
- Denton Tap @ Natches Trace
- Denton Tap @Town Center Blvd.
- Denton Tap @ Bethel Rd.
- Sandy Lake Rd. @ Whispering Hills Dr.
- Sandy Lake Rd. @ Heartz Rd.
- E. Belt Line Rd. @ Moore Rd.
- E. Belt Line Rd. @ Mockingbird Ln.
- E. Belt Line Rd. @ Fairways Dr.
- S. Belt Line Rd. @ Airline Dr.
- S. Belt Line Rd. @ Lakeshore Dr.
- S. Belt Line Rd. @ Dividend Dr.
The City welcomes any feedback to help us expand or reduce the number of flashing signal lights, as needed. Please direct comments to the Engineering Dept. at 972-304-3679 or firstname.lastname@example.org.